Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Saturday, June 18, 2011

Duck Prosciutto


Today was one of the last times I'll be visiting the Inwood farmers market! I got the normal - a huge bag of apples for keith to last the week; some pumpkin bread for breakfast; some nice mint & greens for mojitos & salad later. And I stopped by the Turkey Farm booth in the hopes of finding some turkey legs to roast for dinner. Alas, no drumsticks today. So I moseyed on over to the Duck Farm booth - always a great place to stop. I went with Lola duck breasts for dinner tonight. And as I was waiting for her to get the breasts, I read that they carry duck prosciutto. Intrigued, I asked to see it. Instantly, I fell head over heels in love. Dried, cured & seasoned, complete with the thick layer of fat still attached, this breast was gorgeous - it even still had the string attached from which it was hung to dry. I bought it and rushed up to the apartment knowing that even before I put together breakfast I would be slicing off a piece of that breast to sample. It did NOT disappoint - ducky, gamey, chewy and outstandingly delicious! And now that we've achieved our packing goal today, I can't wait to slice some of the duck prosciutto up (along with some pieces of the fresh OctoberFast cheese from the Dairy Farm booth at the farmers market) as an afternoon snack - after the bubble bath with my husband, of course.

3 comments:

  1. My husband is a bigger fan of duck than I am, but I think I would like this, if I could trim the fat off, but Joe tells me that would be the best part! But now the bubble bath for two, that I'm sure I would enjoy!
    Good luck with the packing, I'm sure it's a big job.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I love duck. Yum!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fantastic! And Barb - your husband is right, the fat is absolutely the best part of it!!

    ReplyDelete