Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Perfect Steak


I love a good steak. I'm sure I've said that before. Last night I felt the urge for a big, seared piece of meat. And when I cook a steak at home, I almost always go for a huge, bone-in (sometimes dry-aged) ribeye. At $18.99 per pound it's not the cheapest cut, but it's damn delicious. And if cooked right, it is so tender and luscious.


I also usually love my steak unadorned - for the most part. I pulled them out of the fridge and let them sit for 1/2 hour before cooking. My steaks were about 2 inches thick. I sprinkled the tops with a good amount of salt, and then a really good amount of fresh cracked pepper. If you have a cast iron skillet, it is seriously the best way to sear a steak. No oil or fat of any kind, just get it really, really hot. Nearly a full flame. As the skillet is heating up, turn on the stove up to 450 degrees. Crazy hot, but exactly what you need. Place the steaks into the hot skillet (salt & pepper down) and leave them there for 6 minutes. Do not move them! Add the salt & pepper to the other side. After 6 minutes, turn them over. 6 more minutes on this side. Then the entire skillet goes into the oven. After 3 minutes, turn them over and let them cook for another 3 minutes. Pull them out of the oven and out of the skillet immediately to rest for 5 - 10 minutes.


While the steaks were cooking I sauteed some gorgeous sliced mushrooms with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and a splash of Balsamic Vinegar. And as a side, I steamed some baby carrots. Perfectly satisfying, if I do say so myself. And I think I could give any good steak house a run for their money!

No comments:

Post a Comment