Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Sunday, June 3, 2012

Taco salad






I know, it doesn't look all that amazing. But I had a craving for a taco salad. keith makes it from time to time, so I thought I'd give it my go. I had half of each a white and red onion in the fridge so I started by sautéing those with a little salt. Once they started to soften I added a pound of ground beef. Once it was browned I totally cheated and added a packet of Lawrey's taco seasoning (seriously - the contents are pretty natural). At the same time, I added a can of diced tomatoes, a can of green chiles and a handful of shredded purple cabbage (not traditional, but it was in my fridge!). I brought this to a boil and lowered the heat, then let it simmer for 5-7 minutes. During the last few minutes I crumbled in some queso blanco.

To serve - I crumbled some tortillas on a plate, and a handful into the dish (stir it through). Pile a generous amount of the taco salad onto the plate. Top with a few more crumbled tortillas, some more chopped cabbage, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa and sour cream. I also added some sliced jalapeños to my plate.

It may not look gorgeous but it was comforting and delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment