Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Martini




So simple, so elegant. Old-school thought insists a true martini should be gin-based, but I'm of the new school of thought - vodka all the way. There's something seductive about the way a person cups the cool glass as beads of perspiration form from the chilled vodka inside. Traditionalists will argue that it's not a martini without vermouth, and I would argue back that I need nothing more than Grey Goose vodka with a small splash of olive brine to make it dirty. Shaken, not stirred, and poured into a glass over three olives. Olives with pimentos should be the last choice - only if there's nothing else to use. Instead try whole green olives that encourage you to suck the meat off the pits. Or better yet, olives stuffed with something that will also lend a hint of flavour to the vodka. Bleu Cheese stuffed olives are a definite favourite. However right now I'm thoroughly enjoying olives stuffed with jalapeƱos. A lovely spice to an already perfect martini.

Indulge. Enjoy. And for the love of god use a good vodka!!

No comments:

Post a Comment