Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Post-Memorial Day Memorial Day dinner





There's something very comforting about brats and potato salad. Takes me back to backyard cookouts from years gone by. And while I didn't make this meal on Memorial Day, it certainly would have been fitting.

Johnsonville brats (come on, they really are good) - slowly simmered in beer for about 20 minutes. I used a nice India Pale Ale. French roll for the bun, ketchup on one side, sweet & hot mustard on the other. A little shredded cheese went on top of the hot brat, and then I piled on sautéed sweet onions and green peppers.

I was wondering what side dish would be good as a side. Potato salad jumped to mind. Ian Garten has a delicious recipe, and I followed it nearly to the letter. Here is my recipe (and her original differences):

1 lb. small white potatoes (Ina: 3 lbs)
Pinch salt
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup half-n-half (Ina: buttermilk)
2 Tbl Dijon mustard
2 Tbl raspberry-wasabi mustard (Ina: whole grain)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chopped dill
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion

Fill a pot with water, add a big pinch of salt and add the potatoes (whole). Being to the boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are softened but not falling apart. Drain them, and then put the potatoes in a bowl covered with a cloth for 15 minutes to keep them lightly cooking.

As those are resting, whisk together the mayo, half-n-half, mustards, salt, pepper and dill. Cut the potatoes into halves or fourths (based on size), and make sure they come to room temperature. Put the potatoes into a bowl and add the dressing - just enough to coat all of the potatoes. Don't overdress it! Add the onions and celery, and put it in the fridge to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment