Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chris' Cure All


It's very likely I've posted this drink recipe on here previously...I'm just too lazy to look. :) This is a martini that resurges every fall in our household and it sticks around through winter. It started as a way to get some really good and fresh ingredients (namely raw ginger, lemon and honey) into my system when I was feeling the beginnings of a cold. It's warm, soothing, and has healing powers. Honestly, if there isn't some alcohol content in your cold medicine then you don't know what you're missing! As a kid my mom would make me drink hot tea with honey, lemon and a splash of whiskey when I had a cold. I still drink that when I'm sick...there's just a little more than a splash of whiskey, and I add ginger. From that came the Chris' Cure All.

The idea was to make something that would soothe, and please, while providing direct injections of the ingredients (all of which I fully believe aid in the healing process...I'm talking the ginger, lemon, honey, not the liquor). It needed to be sweet enough that keith would enjoy it, yet robust enough for me. There's an old cocktail called The Grandad that mixes scotch and amaretto - the flavors combine so well together I decided that would be the base of the cocktail. And by no means is this a simple drink - you've got to sip, and a couple will knock you out. :) But it's delicious, especially on a cold fall or winter night. And the next time you feel the start of a cold, make a Chris' Cure All and I'll be damned if you're not feeling great the next day.

And just a note, you could make this drink with a scotch that wasn't aged 12 years, but why would you?

Chris' Cure All
1 Tbl. honey
splash boiling water
1/4 inch piece ginger, peeled & chopped finely
1 wedge of lemon (approximately 1/2 tsp. lemon juice)
1 oz. Amaretto
2 oz. 12 year old Scotch (preferable Macallan or Singleton)

In an empty shaker, pour the honey. Add the splash of hot water and stir the honey until it dissolves completely. Add the ginger, lemon juice (and throw in the whole wedge if you're using it once squeezed), Amaretto and Scotch. Add ice and shake vigorously. Pour into a martini glass. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment