Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Sunday, October 9, 2011

Tacos


I suddenly was craving tacos. When I mentioned that to my husband, he offered to make some for dinner...how sweet! Off to the market for all of the ingredients. And this time, he was going to attempt it without one of those taco seasoning packets (not because he's all that excited about cooking, but because he knows I prefer it that way...still so sweet!).

We, my husband and I, have come to an understanding when he cooks. I stay out of the kitchen as much as possible during the actual event - and for a short period after. Simply because often times the mess brings out my neurotic side and I scurry around behind him cleaning up all of the stuff he's dropped or discarded. I  can't help myself, the kitchen is my domain and I like it to be organized, efficient, and clean! But I've learned to relax. Now I just let him do his own messy thing without a complaint. Don't get me wrong, I often peek over at him mixing something and watch a glop hit the floor. Instead of getting frustrated, I giggle. And then I tell Max to go into the kitchen to help daddy. Max loves it when keith cooks - lots more stuff hits the floor, and as everyone knows, if it hits the floor it belongs to the dog.

All that being said, the tacos were excellent. he always goes all out as well with the toppings: fresh chopped green leaf lettuce, diced raw tomatoes, chopped onions for me, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce (again, for me). I've been favoring this awesome habanero hot sauce given to me by Kevin as a 'welcome to Portland' gift when we first arrived. Intense heat with a great amount of flavor.


One note about tacos - the shells annoy me. I admit it. It's hard to fill them, they always fall over and all the contents explode from inside. This time we thought we'd try the flat bottom tacos. Great idea, right? They'll stay upright! And they do indeed stay upright. However the meat mixture is wet, and within minutes the bottom of the taco is a soggy mess, nearly impossible to get from plate to mouth without making a mess. Alas, back to the originals next time. But still...damn tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment