Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Friday, September 2, 2011

Comfort Food, a Hike, and some Beer



This past Tuesday my new friend Kevin took me hiking up to the top of Saddle Mountain - it's an hour west of the city off Route 26. Kevin is an AVID hiker - an outdoorsman for sure. I'm a recovering city boy, so I had no idea what to expect. Luckily he had planned the day to start with a big, hearty breakfast at Camp 18 - a rustic and stunning restaurant full of gorgeous wood & wood sculptures as well as huge plates of warm and delicious food. And naturally, I got a few photos from the inside of the restaurant but neglected to take a photo of the massive pile of biscuits and gravy that was delivered to my table. Kevin managed to put away most of three insanely huge blueberry pancakes and a plate of potatoes.



Fueled and ready to go, we made our way to the Saddle Mountain. Heck of a hike - and well worth it for the views. You get to the summit and you have a full 360 degree view - ocean to the west, and forest all around. And after a great hike there was only one thing left to do - get some beer.


Kevin took me to Lucky Labrador for a few pints. Great brewery with a lively back patio (dogs welcome...of course). I started with the Hellasourus Rex - a lighter German-style lager, and then moved on to the ESP. I got home and keith had ordered pizza for dinner - all in all a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment