Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Indian BBQ Chicken


Holly sent me this amazing recipe for an Indian BBQ sauce. I rushed out to buy the necessary ingredients - I've not cooked much Indian, so had to stock up. And instead of chicken breasts, I grabbed some boneless, skinless chicken thighs that worked perfectly on the grill (less cooking time, of course). As I was making the sauce, I kept thinking "this is way too tangy" - but sure enough, it comes together perfectly. The sauce is outstanding on the chicken. I even scooped a little overtop the finished chicken and have plenty left over. Holly suggests making an Indian "pizza" using the sauce & nan bread. I like that idea too!! I served the chicken with some lightly sauteed green beans sprinkled with chopped almonds.

Holly's Indian BBQ Chicken

vegetable oil
1 medium onion finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup tamarind puree (I used a chutney b/c that's all I could find)
1/3 cup unsulphreed molasses
pinch of sugar
3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon garam masala
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 six ounce skinless, boneless chciken breast halves

1.  In a skillet, heat 3 TB of oil.  Add onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent, 4 minutes.  Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.  Add ketchup, vinegar, tamarind, molasses, sugar, mustard and cayenne and simmer over low heat, stirring, until reduced to 1 3/4 cups, 5 minutes.  Stir in the garam masala and season with salt and pepper.

2.  Light grill.  rub chciken with oil and rub with salt.  Grill over moderately high heat until alomst cooked, about 7 minutes.  Brush with sauce and grill for another 4 minutes on each side.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment