Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lasagna


It's becoming that time of year when my mind begins wandering to hearty, comfort foods. Last night I made chili (no photos, alas), and at the end of last week I made a huge lasagna. Lasagna is one of those things that changes every single time I make it. Not only based on what I have available to put IN the lasagna, but also on my mood and tastes of the moment. So while I only have this photo of the finished product, I'll give you a walk-through of the layers from the bottom up.

1. Bottom of the pan - 1/4 C olive oil and half of a small can of tomato sauce to keep everything from sticking.
2. Noodles - for some reason I bought the smaller noodles (length) so had to be creative with arrangement. It still worked out just fine.
3. Meat - I cooked a pound of beef and added some garlic (sliced) and a can of whole, peeled tomatoes (with the juice) that I broke up using my hands. Added some salt, pepper, and some fresh thyme and 1 C tomato sauce and let the mixture cook and reduce by 1/3.
4. Noodles
5. Vegetables - sauteed red & yellow bell pepper, one big yellow onion, sliced garlic, and 2 chopped carrots. Cooked with salt & pepper and some celery seed.
6. Noodles
7. Mixture of sauteed mushrooms with fresh chopped thyme, 12 oz. ricotta cheese, 1 big handful of grated parmesan, 2 eggs, salt & pepper. Mixed together in a bowl and poured over the noodles.
8. Noodles
9. The other half of the small can of tomato sauce spread evenly, then a layer of provolone cheese slices, then a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese and topped with a generous dusting of grated parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment