Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Green Curry with Chicken


While shopping at New Seasons, I happened across a selection of curry pastes from a local company here in Oregon. I've never tried to make a curry on my own, so this seemed like a good way to make the first attempt. The paste simply needs to be added to some coconut milk - I can do that! And I have tried in vain for years to find a suitable green curry that can compare to the one at The Elephant in NYC (sadly no longer around). This ended up being one of the closest recipes yet! Isn't it funny how we can have such sense-memory, especially with food?

So in order to make this as close to the recipe I hold as the standard for green curries, I added the same ingredients - peeled potatoes, chunky carrots and chicken. Unfortunately I only had chicken breasts, and the recipe I fell in love with was always served with dark meat cuts of chicken. Still, I plodded onwards.

Final touches to make this just right - long grain white rice piled perfectly in the center of the plate (slightly sticky rice and a lightly oiled bowl made this easy); chopped peanuts; and some lime wedges. All that was missing was a sliced banana, but I didn't have one handy.


The curry was quite delicious, albeit WAY too spicy for keith. Stubbornly he ate a bunch of it and paid for it the next day...no details required. All in all I'm glad I bought the paste in a jar - it worked out quite well! And next time I'll just make enough for one serving. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment