Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Monday, September 12, 2011

Hamburger


Last night was hamburger night. And boy-howdy was it a good hamburger! Yet for some unknown reason I didn't write down the ingredients as I threw them in. So here's my best assumption of what went into the hamburgers. :)

When I make hamburgers, I don't tread lightly. I want heft and weight with my burger - so each is 1/2 pound! But to start - 1 lb. of lean ground beef in a bowl. There are certain things I almost always mix in with the beef for a hamburger - first of all, I generally buy 90/10 beef so it's really lean. So I always add a little olive oil. Into this hamburger I also added 1 egg, 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 - 2 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbl. horseradish, 2 tsp. fresh rosemary (finely chopped), 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. garlic powder, salt & pepper. And I formed 2 patties, and cooked them in a large pan over medium-high heat until they were medium rare.

For additional texture, I toasted some buttermilk bread slices and added a bit of mayonnaise to each. Raw red onion slices lined the bottom piece of bread (for me, not for keith), and then one piece of sliced provolone cheese went under the hamburger and one on top. And to top the whole thing off, a few slices of fresh roma tomato. And alongside the burger I served a chopped Greek salad. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment