Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Thursday, March 31, 2011

Broiled Beef Kabobs

I began working on a menu for this weekend - my brother-in-law is flying in from Chicago for the weekend, and I always love to cook at least one meal for guests that stay with us.  So Friday night the protein is going to be lamb chops (more to come).  So while my initial thought last night was to make lamb skewers (to go with the Shakshuka), I opted for beef kabobs instead.

Beef round chunks ready to be broiled
As soon as I walked in the door I cut up the beef round and assembled a marinade.  I wanted to give the meat at least 2 hours to marinate - 4 would have been better, but it was still great.  I threw the marinating beef into the fridge and ran some errands (walked the dog, bought some liquor...fun stuff).

Parsley Sauce in a mortar & pestle
The main focus of the meal was to be Shakshuka (more later), and these kabobs were an addition.  The entire meal was hands-on, or rather untensil-free, which I love.  And instead of pulling out my indoor grill, I broiled the kabobs and they turned out really nice.  But because I was broiling them quickly, I didn't bother adding any chunks of vegetables (I didn't think they'd cook through enough, but I could have been wrong).  I also made a sauce in my trusty Mortar & Pestle - there is something so rewarding about having to physically work to make your food.  It was a parsley sauce with garlic, lemon, oil & salt and had the consistency of a chimichurri.

Beef Kabobs with Parsley Sauce

Ingredients 
(marinade & beef)
1 tablespoon rosemary, crushed by hand
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, torn apart by hand
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed & chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
Juice 1/2 lemon
Salt & pepper
1 pound beef round, cut into cubes

(parsley sauce)
1 handful flat leaf parsley, chopped roughly
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Juice 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil

For the marinade, in a bowl combine all the ingredients (rosemary, oregano, onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper & beef) and mix thoroughly so that every piece of meat is coated.  Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, 4 would be better, overnight might be BEST.

Once marinated, skewer 4-5 pieces of beef onto a metal skewer (if you're using wood skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 15 minutes before using).  Don't be too concerned about any clinging garlic or onion, etc.  Place under the broiler, cooking for 5-6 minutes each side.

While the kabobs are broiling, in a mortar & pestle, combine the parsley, garlic & salt and mash into a paste.  You can also use a food processor, but this is so much more fun.  I would even recommend a flavour shaker (by Jamie Oliver - like a cocktail shaker but for food items).  Add the lemon juice and mix thoroughly.  Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until you get the consistency you want (mine was thick which was great).

Place the kabobs on a plate and drizzle the parsley sauce over them.

2 comments:

  1. This look crazy good to me. I am going to make it tonight. I think I will grill it though. I will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo good. I personally loved the parsley sauce. I think I will be safe from vampires for a good 24 hours! The onions were great on the grill, but next time, I think I will just make kabob style onions so as to make clean up easier. So yummy. And my kids dug not having to use a fork and knife. Animals.

    ReplyDelete