Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Reuben - of sorts

Last night I was craving something comforting for dinner.  Not sure why an open-faced Reuben came to mind, but it did.  Sadly, in my search for the perfect ingredients, I found fault with Whole Foods.  *GASP*  Their meat/deli section (not to be confused with their butcher section) is sorely lacking - unless you want 3 different kinds of prosciutto, that is.  The guy behind the counter looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for Corned Beef.  And when I then said "do you have Pastrami" he pulled out turkey pastrami.  I almost told him to forget about it, but then decided I'd use it on the sandwich anyway.  Another employee pointed me to the packaged meats, and said I could find what I needed there.  Alas, what I really wanted was some thinly sliced tongue...funny, I had a moment where I was missing Katzinger's Deli in Columbus, Ohio.

So I took my pre-packaged pastrami, corned beef, and my sliced turkey pastrami home (along with some rye bread, thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese) to make my comforting open-face sandwich.  Easy enough - I layered some of the dressing onto 4 slices of bread, then piled all three types of meat in a perfect little mound.  On top of that, a pile of sauerkraut, and finally a couple of slices of cheese. 


I had the oven on for the crinkle cut french fries I picked up (I told you, I wanted COMFORT), so I popped the sandwiches into the oven for about 10 minutes at 375. 


Exactly the meal I was craving last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment