Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Friday, April 29, 2011

Birthday Dinner #1: Filet Mignon


Yesterday was my birthday, and since we decided that keith would make his famous brisket on Saturday (when we'd both be home all day), I opted for something rather decadent for my birthday evening meal.  We live up near the northern tip of Manhattan, and I work waaaaaay down off of Houston Street in the East Village.  Silly me figured - since I took the day off from work - I could just head back down to near my office, go to the gym and buy all the stuff for dinner down there.  It worked out fine - I got some laps in at the YMCA pool, and shopped for dinner.  But really, it's an hour commute one way on the subway.  Surely there was some other way I could have spent my birthday?  :)

Regardless, the filet was perfection.  I pulled out my trusty cast iron skillet - seasoned each filet with salt and a good amount of pepper - and seared them on each side.  I finished them in a hot hot hot oven for maybe 6 minutes.  They were so freakin' tender - food like that is orgasmic!

And what's sexier than steak and baked potatoes, you know?  So that was an easy side - plied with butter & sour cream.  And as a nice green addition, I grabbed some French Haricort Green Beans.  I sauteed them  with some garlic slices in olive oil - very simple, very clean and fresh.  A perfect and decadent birthday dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Steak and baked potatoes is a sexy meal. And, as usual, whenever you post something I want it. So now I'm thinking we are going to have to grill steaks tomorrow night.

    And also I'm curious, how far is it from your home to your office? I have 25 mile, 30 minute commute one way to work. Ten miles of country(gravel)roads and 15 highway miles. I'm guessing you don't have near as many miles to go but that it's just more time consuming to get there? I know this has nothing to do with cooking or eating, but I am fascinated by all things to do with NYC.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably about 14 miles or so from home to office. But it's Manhattan - you can't get anywhere quickly. The subway (with one transfer) is an hour commute one way. It would likely be the same in the car during rush hour. I actually gave up my car a few years ago because it's too damn frustrating to drive in this city!!

    ReplyDelete