Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Monday, April 25, 2011

keith's Skyline Chili & Chili Dog



A few years ago keith found a copycat recipe for Skyline Chili.  We both have always loved it and usually find time to get some when we’re back in Ohio.  However since he started making it, I no longer have the desire to try the original – I’m hooked on keith’s version.  This has become an Easter weekend tradition for our home – mostly because I demand that he make it at least once a year.  I told him last night that I could ask for it more than once a year, but the anticipation makes it all that much more delicious!


Last night’s dinner did not disappoint.  In fact, keith actually tweaked the recipe just a bit more and made it even better.  And I have no qualms with telling you that I had a hot dog (mustard, and piled with chili, onions & cheese) AND a plate of spaghetti (piled with chili, onions & cheese – at Skyline this would be called a “threeway”).  Satisfying and delicious!!!  And I rewarded him for this monumental effort – although you’ll have to use your imagination about how I rewarded him.  :)

keith’s Skyline Chili
2 lbs. ground beef
2 cups chopped onion
4 cups beef stock
2 cans tomato sauce (16 oz. total)
2-3 Tbl. chili powder
2 Tbl. + 1 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 oz. grated unsweetened chocolate
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. ground allspice
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1 bay leaft
2 dashes Tobasco sauce
1 pinch mace
½ Tbl. molasses
1 pinch dried mustard
Finely shredded cheddar cheese (keith used a mixture of cheddar & monteray jack)
Optional Topping:  chopped onion

In a large pot, add the broth, beef and 2 Tbl. vinegar, bring to a boil and let it boil for 15 minutes.  Add all the remaining ingredients (except for the cheese and optional toppings – and including the last Tbl. of vinegar), and simmer uncovered for 2 hours.  Stir frequently, and if the mixture becomes too thick, add small amounts of water periodically to keep it simmering.

Remove the bay leaf after 2 hours, and skim off any extra fat that is on top.  Serve over hot spaghetti, or hot dogs in buns.  Top with onions (optional) and plenty of cheese.  And when eating the spaghetti – the authentic way to eat this is with a knife & fork.  For god sake don’t twirl!!

8 comments:

  1. Chris, this looks scrumptious! I seriously can't wait to make this. Thanks for sharing the recipe and please thank Keith also. I'm glad you won't be here to see us eat it, because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to twirl it:)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...well I'll give you fair warning - the chili is really thick and delicious. It's MUCH easier to cut it up to eat it. Just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this simmering right now and it smells so good that I am having a hard time not tasting it every time I stir it. However, since I would like to have enough for us to eat for dinner tonight, I will try to restrain myself!!

    Barb

    Btw, Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Barb - and how did the chili turn out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YYYUUUMMMM threeways. My favorite!

    May have to try this one myself! I soooo miss Skyline!!

    Cousin Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chili was amazing! I was just sorry that I could only eat one plate of it, it was filling. I put the leftovers in the refrigerator with a note threatening dismemberment to anyone who tried to eat it as a midnight (or sooner)snack. That evidently scared everyone and we had the leftover chili on hot dogs tonight. And now, sadly, it is gone. Also, you were right, it is too thick to twirl. I tried, and ended up with mainly spaghetti and no chili. So, we ate it properly with a knife and fork!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie - I love you, and your sense of humor. Is it any wonder we get along so well?

    Barb - I knew you'd love that chili. I love how much it breaks down. The consistency is really nice. And I told you - no twirling!! You thought I was joking. :)

    ReplyDelete