Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Saturday, April 9, 2011

Farmers Market



Every Saturday there is a fantastic Farmers Market on our street here in Inwood.  I'm amazed at how much it has grown in the 6 years we've been in the area.  There are all kinds of vendors:  wine, honey, duck, turkey, cheese, beef, and the list goes on (and it's year round - for the most part).  And nearly every Saturday I make a point to walk through the market.  So this morning the whole family headed for the market.  My husband was being pulled along by our yellow lab, Max, and I had the big shopping bag ready for the market.

I knew I wanted a bunch of apples (a favorite snack in this apartment!), and a small loaf of pumpkin bread for breakfast.  Alas, I came back with so much more.  I got 2 amazingly fresh duck breasts for dinner - as well as some homemade spinach ravioli.  I resisted the fresh cheese tent, but did buy a cheese danish and a cinnamon raisin loaf along with the pumpkin bread.  I also snagged a small bag of sunflower sprouts - I've never had them, but I thought they might make a really nice salad to go with the duck breasts tonight!

If you have a local farmers market, I would encourage you to check it out - and frequently.  It truly is amazing how good fresh and local produce and products are.  And there's something absolutely wonderful about buying a jar of wildflower honey knowing that it was made not far from where you live.

3 comments:

  1. That market sounds amazing! Just wanted to say I read both blogs and am always delighted by both.
    I really enjoy your recipes and insight. Great Job!
    By the way, I made the stuffed chicken breasts and they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like your intros to each menu. I bookmarked your page, it's one of the few good blogs I check every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always happily impressed with our "little" farmers market way up at the tip of Manhattan. Of course it doesn't compare to others in the city (like the one in Union Square) - but it's pretty impressive all the same.

    Glad the chicken breasts worked out for you. I really enjoyed that meal as well!

    ReplyDelete