Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ad Lib by Lucy Brennan


A while back keith got me this amazing book of unique cocktails called "Hip Sips" by Lucy Brennan. I was pouring through it the other day and came across this cocktail. It immediately caught my eye because one of the ingredients is cilantro. Lo and behold - I love cilantro! The smell, the texture, the taste. And now I can have it in a drink? Why, I just couldn't believe it so I had to make it for myself!

The cilantro is paired amazingly with the lemon-lime juice. Delicious, and quite refreshing on a warm summer night. It's not a cocktail I could have too many of in a row, as it is a bit powerful - I'm talking taste here. But wow, what a knockout. And while the recipe technically calls for Crater Lake Vodka, use whatever you like. I used Svedka and it was delicious. Also the recipe calls for cocktail ice (basically crushed ice you can manipulate easier than cubes) - and you're supposed to muddle the ice and cilantro together. I didn't have any cocktail ice, so instead I muddled the cilantro and the lemon-lime juice together, then added all of the ingredients - and ice - and shook vigorously.

Ad Lib
Cocktail ice cubes for muddling and shaking
5 to 7 fresh cilantro leaves
2 1/2 ounces Crater Lake vodka
1 ounce fresh Lemon-Lime juice (basically one part lemon, one part lime mixed in advance)
1 ounce Simple Syrup
Lollipop rim*

In a cocktail shaker, muddle the ice and cilantro until the ice is slushy and the cilantro is evenly distributed throughout the ice. Add ice to fill the shaker. Add the vodka, lemon-lime juice and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into a martini glass garnished with a lollipop rim.

*Lollipop rim - you need some baker's sugar for this (or superfine sugar - very small granules). Cut a wedge of orange, and make a deep cut right in the middle of the wedge. Turn your martini glass upside down, and slide the cut wedge around the edge of the glass. Rub the orange wedge all the way around the glass (up to 2 inches down the edge). Have your sugar ready in a wide bowl. Tip the edge of your martini glass into the sugar and spin the glass to coat all around the edge. Your left with a deep rim - about 1 - 2 inches (typical rim is very shallow).

No comments:

Post a Comment