Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bangers & Mash...well, basically


I've been going a little crazy with my grill - but you can't blame me, it's been 7 years since I was able to have one (thanks a LOT, New York City). So the other day I grabbed some really nice Italian sausages at the store and immediately keith asked "are you making Bangers & Mash?" It's one of those comfort foods that he really likes. So I said "sure, why not!"


The sausages were simple - on the grill, both sides until done. I put keith on onion duty (after I cut up the beautiful Walla Walla Sweets) - olive oil, medium heat, 20 minutes or so stirring often and the onions get nice, soft & brown. For the potatoes I used a mixture of new potatoes (red, white and purple). I cut them in half and boiled them for about 20 minutes. Once they were tender, I drained them and threw them back into the hot pot along with a heap of butter, salt, pepper, and about 3 Tbl. horseradish and then mashed the crap out of them.

Sometimes the fun comes in organizing a plate. I like this dish because everything just gets stacked up as high as you can get it. A HUGE pile of potatoes, then a generous amount of onions all topped with the gorgeous "bangers." Thankfully the evenings are cool here and not hot & sticky like in NYC, because this is definitely a meal that sticks to your ribs!

No comments:

Post a Comment