Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sockeye Salmon with Crispy Shallot & Garlic Rice


While drooling over the Pacific Oysters at the market yesterday, I also couldn't keep my eyes off of the local & fresh Sockeye Salmon - gorgeous deep color! So I got a huge side (not HUGE, only about 2 lbs.) for dinner. I didn't do anything fancy - I often use dill & capers with salmon, but I wanted to taste the fish and just the fish. So I oiled & salted the skin side heavily, and threw it onto the grill. It cooke for about 8 - 10 minutes on the skin side. I added some oil, salt & pepper to the flesh side, and flipped the salmon over to cook for about 5 - 6 minutes on the flesh side. That's it. Easy and simple and delicious!

I wanted something also relatively simple for a side dish. I love my rice cooker, so that was an easy solution. I had some Jasmine rice, so in it went to the cooker. Takes about 1/2 hour. In the meantime, I heat up a generous amount of olive oil in a small pan, and threw in 1 chopped shallot and 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves. I cooked them over medium heat, stirring often (with a little salt added), until they became golden brown and a little bit crispy. I poured them into a bowl to stop the cooking process, and set them aside. Once the rice was done I heaped into a bowl and added the oil, shallots & garlic. I also added about 2 Tbl. butter, another splash of olive oil, and some salt & pepper. I gave the whole thing a hearty mix, and piled it on the plate next to the salmon. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment