Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hemingway Daiquiri


I found this recipe in a fantastic book called "Speakeasy" by Jason Kosmas & Dushan Zaric, based on cocktails reimagined at the New York bar Employees Only. They give a great cocktail history of Hemingway, and go on to explain that this was his signature cocktail in the La Floradita bar in Cuba. They altered it slightly by changing the use of Bacardi white rum to 10 Cane run (or a Cachaca) - BUT I forgot to buy some Cachaca, so I went old school with some Bacardi white rum.

It's quite a complex little drink, and after the first sip keith said "it tastes like an old man's drink." He meant sophisticated, like a Manhattan. I'm not an old man. :) And shame on me that I didn't have any homemade brandied cherries on hand - so I had to use the sad maraschino cherries floating in red liquid. But they were a great addition. I think I might soak some pitted cherries in Amaretto for a few days and then make this again with them.

One final note - I doubled the liquor quantity. I know, that's just how I role. So I'm going to list the recipe from the book with notes about what I actually used!

Hemingway Daiquiri
1 3/4 oz. Bacardi white rum (or 10 Cane rum, or Cachaca - I used 3 1/2 oz. per drink)
3/4 oz. Maraschino liqueur (I used 1 1/2 oz. per drink)
1 oz. fresh lime juice
3/4 oz. fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 oz. simple syrup
1 lime wheel, for garnish
1 brandied cherry, for garnish (I used maraschino cherries)

Pour the rum, liqueur, juices and syrup into a shaker. Add ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with the lime-cherry "flag" (a citrus wheel skewered with a brandied cherry).

No comments:

Post a Comment