Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Frontera Margarita


This is another recipe I lifted that I fell in love with...um...just yesterday. :) I found it in a book by Steven Raichlan (great BBQ/Grilling book). The amazing thing about this recipe is that it steeps for 6 - 8 hours, allowing the liquor to really extract the oils and flavor from the lime zest. I will warn you, it packs one hell of a punch and is probably my favorite margarita of all time at this point. However that has to do with the orange-flavored liqueur that I found: Gran Gala. It's an Italian orange liqueur that has a base of brandy, so there's this amazing depth of flavor and power. I'm sure Cointreau or even Triple Sec would work, but if you find yourself in a liquor store staring at a bottle of Gran Gala...grab it, yelp for joy, and buy it!!

Oh and ignore the pineapple in the back of the photo. That's just sitting there until tonight when I use it for a new cocktail. :)

Frontera Margarita
1 3/4 Cup gold Tequila (I used El Jimador)
1/3 Cup Gran Gala (or another orange liqueur - original calls for 1/4 cup, I increased)
1/2 Cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspooon lime zest
1/3 Cup sugar
1 Cup water
Salt
Lime wedges

Combine the tequila, liqueur, lime juice, lime zest, sugar and water in a pitcher. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Place in the refrigerator, covered, for 6 - 8 hours (or overnight as I did). Rub the rim of your glasses with the lime wedges and dip them in salt to lightly coat. Fill the glass with ice, and pour the margarita over the ice - enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment