Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Monday, August 8, 2011

Pancetta Grilled Figs


This recipe (again from Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Bible) is crazy easy and delicious. Pancetta and figs have been paired together forever, rightfully so. Yet the addition of sage and grilling escalates the flavors to a whole new level. The figs stay juicy and delicious inside while the pancetta and sage get crispy and sumptuous on the outside. Yes, I said sumptuous.

Pancetta Grilled Figs
6 thin slices pancetta
12 ripe figs
12 fresh sage leaves
Bamboo skewers

Cut each strip of pancetta in half - each piece should be just large enough to wrap around a fig. Top each fig with a sage leaf, and then wrap it in pancetta, securing it with a bamboo skewer bu running the skewer through the center of the fig and out the other side. Skewer up to 3 figs together.

Brush the grill with olive oil and get the grill hot. Arrange the figs on the hot grate and grill, turning once with tongs, until the figs are heated through and the pancetta becomes crispy (2 - 4 minutes per side). Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. You are killing me here...those look amazing. All hail Grill Master Christopher!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete