Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Monday, August 22, 2011

Sweet & Garlicky Pork Chops


This is another recipe I lifted from "The Barbecue Bible" by Steven Raichlen. I'm working my way through his book this summer and really enjoying it. A lot of his flavors are Asian-inspired, and this is no different. And I learned a new technique for grilling pork chops - make 1 or 2 cuts on the fat side of each pork chop to keep it from curling up while cooking. It worked perfectly, and the chops were moist and delicious!!

Sweet & Garlicky Pork Chops
4 thick (at least 1 inch) pork chops
1 head garlic, broken into cloves & peeled
3 Tbl. sugar
1/3 cup Asian fish sauce or Soy Sauce (I used 1/2 of each)
3 Tbl. honey
3 Tbl. rice wine (I read this wrong and thought it said rice wine vinegar - so I omitted this)
2 Tbl. Sesame oil (recipe calls for dark, Asian oil - I used light and it was fine)
1 Tbl. peeled & grated fresh ginger
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

Make 1 or 2 cuts in the fat side of each pork chop to keep them from curling during grilling. Arrange the chops in a baking dish and set aside. Combine the garlic and sugar in a food processor and process to a paste. Work in the fish sauce, honey, rice wine, sesame oil, ginger, salt and pepper. Using a rubber spatula, spread the mixture over both sides of the chops. Let marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 1 - 2 hours.

When ready to cook (grill preheated and grate brushed with oil), arranged the chops on the grate and grill until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through, about 4 - 6 minutes per side for thick chops. If using thin chops, about 2 - 4 minutes per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment