Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Monday, August 22, 2011

Squash Blossoms


While at the Farmers Market I picked up a bunch of squash blossoms. In all honesty I thought the season for blossoms was spent and we wouldn't see it again until next spring. Alas, I was wrong. There they were, deliciously calling to me. One of my favorite things to do with squash blossoms is to make a real quick & simple tempura batter and fry them fast. These work as an excellent side dish, or as an appetizer. You could make an asian dipping sauce for it - or any kind of dipping sauce you'd like, but I often just munch on them as they are.


Tempura batter
1 cup flour
1 Tbl. cornstarch
1 1/2 cup soda water
Salt (to taste)

Combine all of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. You should end up with a lightly bubbly, thick liquid. Don't over-mix as you want some of the carbonation to stay in the batter - this helps fluff up the batter when cooked.

Squash Blossoms
1 bunch Squash Blossoms
Tempura Batter
Peanut Oil

Fill a cast iron skillet 1 1/2 inches with peanut oil. Heat up to relatively high heat (peanut oil can take it better than olive oil). Pluck the blossoms from their stems, rinse and spin dry or pat dry completely. Dredge the blossoms in the batter, covering completely, and place into the hot oil. Cook for 2 - 4 minutes until crispy (batter does NOT turn brown like other batters - it stays the same color for the most part). Turn over and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes until the batter is cooked through completely. Remove from oil and allow to sit for a few minutes on a paper towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment