Food & Drink

I'm Chris - or Christopher - or Mr. Dean - or Master Christopher - or just plain Sir. I'm a self-professed foodie. I love to cook and I take great pleasure in all things edible. My husband and I are relatively new to Portland, Oregon and are enjoying our culinary explorations of the area!



Food is NOT just fuel!



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Grilled Flank Steak


100% credit for this marinade & recipe goes out to Holly - she emailed me this recipe and I made it the other night. Usually I would have stretched out the strips of meat, one or two to a skewer. For some reason I s-curved them around and filled the skewers. I cannot begin to tell you how juicy, tender and fantastic this meat was. Thank you, Holly!!!! I also grilled some asparagus and we had a no-utensils dinner!

Here's her recipe: Grilled Flank Steak Skewers


    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp (25 mL) grated gingerroot (or 1 tsp/5 mL ground ginger)
    2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
    2 tsp (10 mL) rice vinegar or cider vinegar
    2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
    1 top sirloin grilling steak or sirloin tip marinating steak, 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick (1 lb/500 g)

     In large bowl, whisk together garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and sugar. Slice steak against the grain into strips about 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick.  Weave the skewer through  the meat and place all the skewers into marinade.  I do mine the night before.  Grill hot and fast.

2 comments:

  1. So....Is it really important to have sesame oil to make this marinade? I have everything but that and this sounds really good!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete